Given a chance though…rabbits will sit in their food to eat it. This results in a fair amount of spoilage.
Hay racks help prevent spoilage.
Make your own
- Use a toilet paper roll, or any roll that is paper and stuff it full of hay.
- PVC piping…either leave it whole and cram the hay in, or cut it in half and mount up high on the cage
- place hay on the top of the cage so they need to pull it through
- use leftover cage wire to make a basket
- use soup or mushroom cans…carefully filing down sharp edges – put hay in them fairly tightly
- wrapping the hay around itself and suspending it from the cage roof
You can google how to build a hay rack. Here's a couple videos with ideas for you.