Since then I've gotten to thinking. What makes a good breeder? What makes a bad breeder?
Is a breeder bad if they sell you a rabbit and then don't take them back and don't give you your money back? OR take them back but don't refund you your money?
If the breeder is upfront with you and says I show in XYZ organization and I can show them there, but I don't show in ABC organization so I don't know their standards.. are they a bad breeder if they sell you rabbits THEY can show, but in the other organization you can't?
Is a good breeder only one that refunds your dollars and promises that your rabbits will do what perhaps they should do?
Exactly what makes a good breeder?
I have to say I have my thoughts as to what makes a good breeder (and I"ll share those with you), but I am positive you have your ideas about what makes a good breeder as well (and they will quite likely be different than mine).
1. Doesn't guarantee anything in regards to showing. I can tell you that in my opinion this is a good rabbit, worthy of showing, but that doesn't mean the judges will agree with me. It doesn't mean that you'll keep this rabbit in prime condition for showing. Doesn't mean that you'll always have your timing down or that the rabbit even has the temperament for showing.
2. Tells you what they think of the rabbit. Whether it's brood or show quality. What health issues it had as a kit. Whether or not (if adult) if it is proven. Doesn't have to be all the good and bad points, but an overall generalization works for me.
3. Has policies in place that are reasonable and not overwhelming. for instance... 24 hour health guarantee. rabbit care sheet. Suggestions for care. Permanent return policy. None of this: require you to take the rabbit to a vet within 24 hours, no breeding or we'll take the rabbit back, must get rabbit neutered, etc.
4. does their best to make the transaction with a live animal go smoothly...for both the buyer, the seller AND the rabbit.
5. gives their honest opinion about how big the rabbit should get, what it's temperament will be like and as much information that seems reasonable.
That to me is what makes for a good breeder.