What You Need
I recently upgraded one of my cages so had this older one which will serve just fine as a temporary cage for a new bun. I wanted it well protected from the weather. So I needed to consider heat and wind factors. Since it Covid time I didn't want to go through the fuss of getting wood from the lumber yard, and have a preference for the more inexpensive route.
So three pallets (two small ones) one normal sized. Plus three planks off another pallet did the trick. For waterproofing I used a weather proof cover we had over an old lawnmower. OH, and I used some old wood off some gardens I replaced this summer.
I used a variety of screws from one inch through 2.5 inch.
How to Build
I spaced out my two small pallets and put the support up. I needed the help of my 14 year old for this part. He helped me put on one support and then to measure out the distance for placing the other support. Once I had one board on I was good to go.
Three boards were used as the support for the tray. I thought about leaving it open to let the waste fall to the ground to be swept up but since isolation requires monitoring, it's easier to monitor waste using a tray. These boards were the support pieces from the pallet I tore apart plus leftover wood.
I cut up some of the thin pieces to add to the sides to help block wind around the tray, and to have a spot for a cage support since this cage did not have a tray support.
The cage was supported with some L brackets. Similar to these brackets from Amazon (aff. link).
He suggested I cut some of the thin pallet wood to size, that would give us the additional 8 inches we would need. He helped me screw them all on as close together as we could manage for uneven pallet wood.
I then placed my old garden wood along the back and the top cutting most of the rotten wood off to make relatively even edges.
I placed the cage in relatively sheltered location under the shade of trees and mostly out of the prevailing winds. I well imagine a bun would be pretty comfortable in this cage. In the winter I'll add feed bags stapled all around to block any winds that might creep up and have a small tarp to roll down the front at night.
Keeping the wood off the wet ground is important so the whole thing was placed up on bricks. It is very steady and secure.