The whole situation with Debe Bell and her confiscated rabbits and the pictures posted both by her as well as by those who are against her have spawned all sorts of conversation across the rabbit world.
Those who are horrified at how her animals were kept, those who are not horrified at how they were kept and wondering why people would be.
Personally...I'm withholding judgement. I disliked what I saw because I know that things can be better. I also know that the build up I saw on some of those cages takes time to develop. I also know that sometimes life gets beyond a person sometimes and things can slip drastically. I know these things and I do not know all the particularities of her exact situation. Therefore I withhold judgement on her.
BUT many people are not. They are all over the place for, against, indifferent, angry, disgusted and much more (and much less). But what we are is DIVIDED.
And everyone knows that people who are divided are much more easily defeated.
So for those who say she deserves whatever she gets ... consider this...
1. does she really? Do you know ALL the facts?
2. what if the situation were turned around...would YOU deserve it?
3. Does one deserve to lose their hobby without being proven guilty of wrongdoing? For that IS what has happened here.
And if she does deserve losing her animals...are you aware of how much ammunition and power that gives the Animal Rights people to come after YOU next? Seriously think about this for a moment.
Every time the animal rights people win, they gain power.
1. They gain power because they divide us, they make us think...ah...just another bad breeder, not realizing that painting one bad breeder means so many other people (bad or not) are branded with same paintbrush.
2. They gain power with the uneducated who link puppy mills, factory chickens, and rabbit breeders all with the same brush. We are all breeding our animals ERGO we must be horrid people.
Dog breeders fight it, Cat breeders fight it and so forth. You raise cattle...well.. you must be one of those horrid feed lot people. And that's exactly how we are painted.
3. Look at all the free publicity their "good" cause on behalf of the animals is getting them. and people don't stop to think... if the dog/cat/rabbit/snake people are put out of business, where exactly is our next pet coming from?
4. and here's the answer ... Adopt from a shelter. you know..those shelters that written laws give permissions to that joe average isn't allowed to have. There are thousands upon thousands of animals out there. adopt from them. but where do those shelter animals come from? Ask yourself that. If the breeders are put out of business where exactly will those shelter animals come from? and thence...where will your child's next pet come from? or your agility partner or ?????
If we are divided and thinking that people deserve whatever they get, then we are easy prey. Just institute bill after bill after bill making it illegal to breed, sell, own, work or whatever. Anything to do with animals...tough luck!
I will defend the right of anyone to raise and feed and breed their animals. EVEN the spider people (as much as I HATE spiders) I'll defend your right to breed them because if I don't... we are divided and therefore easy prey to those who brand us as horrid despicable people.
I WILL NOT defend your right to do so if you deliberately mistreat your animals. I'll tell you to sell or kill 'em or give them away to someone who is knowledgeable. But unless you are being neglectful or cruel... don't knock on my door asking me to help put them out of business.
Who's knocking on your door?